Friday, December 18, 2009

Is it bad for the environment if I buy oil paint with cadmium?

I was watching a show on Animal Planet called The Earth In Peril (or something with Jeff Corwin and that one hot old guy with white hair) and they had mentioned how this one place in China was mining for a certain ore and by doing this other minerals like cadmium were coming out and polluting the environment around them. I just wanna get my facts straight. Anyone know anything about cadmium? Should I not use oil paints with cadmium? because I care about the Earth and I don't want to contribute to the destruction of it!Is it bad for the environment if I buy oil paint with cadmium?
It depends on how the cadmium is treated chemically. Cadmium salts are poisonous and very dangerous. However, cadmium pigment in oil (and acrylic) paints may be a chelated form of cadmium which is inert to living tissue. Consider for example, the element bismuth. Bismuth is a heavy metal and is poisonous to man. But a chelated form of Bismuth is the active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol! Go Figure!Is it bad for the environment if I buy oil paint with cadmium?
Cadmium is an occupational hazard associated with industrial processes such as metal plating and the production of nickel-cadmium batteries, pigments, plastics and other synthetics. The primary route of exposure in industrial settings is inhalation. Inhalation of cadmium-containing fumes can result initially in metal fume fever but may progress to chemical pneumonitis, pulmonary edema, and death.[2] Cadmium is also a potential environmental hazard. It sure ain't good for the planet !

No comments:

Post a Comment